Marine Weather Forecasting 101
An overview of marine weather and how important it is for sailors to learn the basics.
This course is designed for a sailor like you. It aims to help you grow as a sailor by providing a deep dive into the important topic of marine weather. This is an opportunity to learn something new, that you will be able to use in your everyday sailing to make your time on the water safer and more enjoyable.
Need a refresher on your basic weather knowledge? Before you open your favorite weather app to get tomorrows forecast, it pays to understand the big picture of marine weather. Expert sailor and meteorologist Peter Isler presents this webinar covering Marine Weather 101, diving into Highs and Lows, sea breezes and land breezes, basic atmospheric dynamics and much more - all invaluable topics for any sailor to understand.
This course is suitable for all levels of sailors wishing to gain a better understanding of the weather’s effect on sailing conditions, basic weather forecasting, and becoming a safer sailor through having a deeper knowledge of weather conditions. This course will cover the following topics
- Global Wind and Pressure Patterns
- Upper Atmosphere & Jet Streams
- Introduction to Isobars
- Highs and Lows
- Ridges & Troughs
- Mid-Latitude Lows / Tropical Lows / "Cutoff" Lows
- Types of Thunderstorms
- Local Thermal Winds
- Local Geographic Effects to Wind
- Guide to Wind Advisories and Warnings
- Guide to Weather Map Symbols
- Introduction to Waves
- Recommended Sources for Weather Information
Other Recommended Webinars
- Marine Weather in the Smartphone Era by Peter Isler
- 30 days unlimited access to this webinar
- A 50-minute video presentation by Peter Isler
- Downloadable PDF of the slides used in the presentation
- Downloadable PDF containing links to resources discussed in the presentation
ASA Member Discount
ASA Members in good standing can save 33% on this webinar. Simply lookup the promo code on the Member Benefits page inside the ASA Member Portal and apply it at checkout. If you're not an ASA member then join or renew today!
Note: This course is based on a LIVE webinar hosted by Peter Isler in June of 2019.
Peter Isler is 2x America’s Cup winner, former ESPN commentator and a best selling author. He is a co-founder of the ASA and is the chairman of ASA's Educational Committee. A lifelong teacher, Peter loves sharing his broad knowledge about the sport. His world class sailing experiences around the world have made him an expert on many topics.